Irritable bowel syndrome, is one of the most common disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Upto 8 million people suffer from IBS in the uk alone.
IBS is not a disease. It is basically a group of symptoms that occur together. The symptoms of IBS are usually abdominal pain or discomfort, cramping, bloating, constipation, diarrhea or both,
How can hypnotherapy help with IBS?
Hypnotherapy for IBS can really help, however diagnosis of IBS needs to be confirmed with the doctor before you seek treatment with the Mind Lounge.
The causes of IBS are unknown and extensive research has indicated a significant link between stress and IBS and the effective use of hypnotherapy to treat IBS. For example, Professor Gonsalkorale WM, Toner BB, Whorwell PJ evaluated cognitive changes in 78 IBS patients who compleated 12 session of hypnotherapy treatments. Findings showed that hypnotherapy resulted in improvement of symptoms, quality of life, anxiety and depression.
(Source:Gonsalkorale WM, Toner BB, Whorwell PJ. J Psychosom Res. 2004 Mar;56(3):271-8. Cognitive change in patients undergoing hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome.)
Professor Whorell of Medicine and gastroenterology in the school of medicine and director of South Manchester Bowel service regularly uses hypnotherapy in his work with IBS patients. His research and work achieve over a 70% success rate with clients with IBS. The methods I use to work with IBS suffers are based on his work and therefore are clinically validated.
For example, research carried out by Whorwell (1987) who treated 50 patients with IBS using hypnotherapy. Findings showed an overall 95% of patients with IBS were successfully treated.
(Source: Whorwell PJ; Prior A; Colgan SM. Hypnotherapy in severe irritable bowel syndrome: further experience. Gut, 1987 Apr, 28:4, 423-5)
So Hypnotherapy for IBS has been scientifically validated by numerous research. What other reasons should I choose to have hypnotherapy for IBS?
- Hypnotherapy often helps those individuals who have failed to have any success with other forms of treatment such as medications.
- Hypnotherapy is a relaxing, comfortable and unique way to help alleviate the symptoms of IBS.
- Unlike medications, there are no side affects with using hypnotherapy.
- Hypnotherapy uses the power of your own mind to create positive change and wellbeing.
- The results of hypnotherapy last for a long time- thereby saving you money and time.
Just some more clinical based research on the significant effectiveness of treating IBS with hypnotherapy:
- Clinical studies of hypnotherapy used to treat IBS in patients demonstrated over 80% success rate in treating IBS symptoms. This lead to an improved quality of life. reduced dependence on medication and general improved health measures.(Source Bremner H. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2013 Aug;19(3):147-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2013.01.001. Epub 2013 Mar 23)
- A total of 164 patients with IBS were screened and received either supportive talks with medical treatment or supportive medical treatment with Gut directed hypnotherapy. (10 sessions within 12 weeks). 60.8% of clients who received gut directed hypnotherapy showed improvements. over 15 months. This also included general improvement in quality of life, psychological status, and IBS symptoms therefore coming to the conclusion that gut directed hypnotherapy was highly effective in the treatment of IBS .(Source: Moser G, Trägner S, Gajowniczek EE, Mikulits A, Michalski M, Kazemi-Shirazi L, Kulnigg-Dabsch S, Führer M, Ponocny-Seliger E, Dejaco C, Miehsler W.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Apr;108(4):602-9. 2013 Feb 19).
Contact me today if you have been diagnosed wiith IBS and would like help alleviating its symptoms.
If you do not see your issue on the treatment list please do give me a call as I work with a variety of issues and can help.
Sidra Khan: MBPsS, MNCH (Reg), D. Hyp, C.Hyp, PNLP
Fully qualified and registered Clinical Hypnotherapist
Contact: 07526 000360